Cross Banner

Welcome,
Thanks for stopping by, Please be sure to comment on a post or two while you're here. If you're in Empire Ave. My ticker Number is STSEA comment on my blog and leave yours, I'll be sure to do the same. You might also want to check out a few of my other blogs.
Thanks very much folks!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

There is always a price for Advanced Societies, Are we willing to Pay It?

Seal of the Supreme Court of the United StatesImage via Wikipedia[Copied from my mail account 10/17/2011]


I've never "mailed" everyone in my address book before kind-of makes me feel like a spammer, and  I won't be emailing like this again. I remember all too well fighting or paying somene to fight the mail filters and algorithms to prevent spam, and I was a participant of the CanSpam Act.  
Sonia Sotomayor, U.S. Supreme Court justiceSONIA SOTOMAYOR,                              U.S. SUPREME COURT JUSTICE

But I feel very strongly about the below petition. and I hope you'll read this through, as I've put allot of 
thought and time into writing it. 

As a single parent receiving  no child support taking on   student loans was my only way to take an education.  I say "take" because nothing was given to me.  I  earned,     borrowed,worked, and sweated my way through those years to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. To keep my homework and labs done, and my reading up to date. And most of you know exactly what I'm talking about in those last two statements.

 I feel it is through higher education and the skills we learn at our universities and the different perspectives we are exposed to, that as the individual voters of our nation we are better able to make informed decisions that affect our futures.
The current United States Supreme Court, the h...Image via Wikipedia
Getting that higher education is not cheep. Now, after receiving our education and getting good job my husband and I pay "allot" in federal taxes every year.  Taxes we would not be paying had we not received an education to be employed as we are now.  Well, I can't work now because of my disability, but when I did, we were in still in the highest tax bracket.  Two Working Professionals with no kids, no house, no deductions. Now we still have 1 working Professional and a house, I keep wanting to take a deduction for our cat, but the accountant says no.   We still pay in the highest taxed bracket.   Middle Class Americans and/or Small Business Owner
s.

I support and believe in my government. I support our military and with my whole heart support our  troops.  

My husbands grandfather never returned from WWI.  My  dad was a fighting CB win WWII, stationed on Island of Tinia he helped to build the runway there. A person never woke up my dad by shaking him, in fact we all stood back, He'd take swings but we stood back.  That's the result of being a combat vet 30 years after the war has ended.  My sister was in the Air Force, her son, my nephew just signed up for his second tour in the army. He's usually somewhere around Afghanistan when he's deployed.  Most American's, especially the women, the mom's, the wives see the results of our men, and now our women being  Combat Veterans.

Military security areaImage by Malik_Braun via Flickr
Add caption
I am  getting to my point, just stick with me here for another few paragraphs. 

If I don't agree with my countries policy's that's OK because that is MY Right as an American. A Right granted through our founding fathers, and upheld through our Constitution, the Supreme Court and our judicial system. And behind them, on the other side of the coin, our military is always present, standing on that line. Protecting our right to have that constitution and our nation. Although unseen,  standing there with our current soldiers are all the men who came before them, the men who never made it home.



 In the Military the pay is not much, but there are perks for when you get out.  Free Education.  Zero Down Home Loans.  Food, Housing, Medical & Dental care, and the commissary for starters.   If you stay in until retirement and your are lucky enough to survive without injury then you can go into the same field in the private sector and still keep the perks for yourself and your family. The military personal deserve it, and allot more in my opinion.  

What about the Supreme Court Justices, how did they get to be a supreme court justice? They are standing on that other line.  The one that defines what is allowable and not within a progressive society. They started with a higher education. In fact anyone who works within the judicial system has a higher education. Even th
e Court Reporters had to go to a specialized program to be able to record and transcribe the sessions of court.    Most police have gone onto a higher education. All Scientist, Engineers, Philosophers, Authors, etc, have all gone onto a higher education. well, 99% There's always an Einstein in every group.   

You see, I don't want to equating the the risks and the implications of being in the military to getting a higher education,  I would never do that. Beside it leading to having a mob outside my house wanting my head on a stick,  it would be just plain stupid.   But what I am saying is that it takes both sides of the coin to make this country a better place to live in.  Both elements need to be present in order to make this country stronger. Both are necessary for progress and growth.  Both are required in a progressive society. 

As Americans who have gone onto higher education, how many years did you put in?  Four, six, twelve and your thesis? How many years of internships, or teaching the introductory courses or being present for the labs, and grading papers and does everyone hate grading papers?
  
How much did you give up in order to get your education? 
How much did you or are you paying now for you or your child's education?

How did getting your education affect your loved ones during those impossible years?   Did you give up being home at night with your children? Did you work a night job just so your toddler was asleep when you had to leave her/him in someone else care? 

I know even if you weren't a single mom or dad getting a higher education that you gave up any thoughts for a warm coat, or new boots. Opting instead for frivolous articles like hamburger for dinner instead of Ramon Noodles. I know you hoped for warm socks and a gift certificate to McDonald's at Christmas. We all did! Or a Card with $20.00 that was heaven we could order a pizza!   

Did you need to ask even though it felt like begging, for financial help from a family member or a friend so your children, your son or daughter,  could get a uniform for boy/girl scouts, or the $100+ dollars it costs for a child to play in little league. And  what about medical and dental? Did you make time to stand in lines for hours to get your children reduced dental, and medical care? You as an adult were not eligible, but your children were/are. And that's all that really mattered at the time, to make sure your children were being cared for. Then you could continue your quest to make a better life for them, so they wouldn't have to go through what you went through. Guess what? It's worse for them now.  We failed.   



Very Hot US Airforce Pararescue JumperImage by shaun wong via Flickr
And every semester didn't you worry if your financial aid would be dropped? The program you were on dropped or not funded enough? Then you'd have to move off campus, loose your student jobs, and not be able to complete your education? Then if that happened you had to start re-paying student loans even though you couldn't even complete your education and get a good job?  




I am the "average american woman"  there are many who came before me.  If you sign this petition now, perhaps there won't be a need for any to follow after me. 


  Higher education is no longer an option. It is a requirement of any progressive society.  And I mean higher education should include trade schools, because all of these elements, everyone from the garbage pickup to The Deadliest Catch, is what makes up our country. Well, someone had to teach them to drive a boat, read a sonar, mark the buoys  and honestly, do you want to unload that ship when it docks? 


Great to eat, but you don't want to unload a truck of them.



 I unloaded a semi of halibut one time for extra money.. whole halibut frozen solid, just laid on pallets on the floor of a semi, fifteen thousand pounds of halibut.  When I was done, I threw the cloths I was wearing in the trash, and took numerous, many, lots of showers running the hot water out each time.  I still smelled like a halibut. I smelled like a halibut for weeks. I dreamed of halibut in my sleep for months. And just in case anyone out there wants to know, yes, you can smell things in your dreams.   Heck-of-a-job for $60.00 extra bucks eh? Well, it was the early 1970's. Believe me, heck-of-a-job doesn't cover it, but I rated my blog G.   

I signed a petition to The United States House of Representatives, The United States Senate and President Barack Obama, which says:

"Forgiving the student loan debt of all Americans will have an immediate stimulative effect on our economy.  With the stroke of the President's pen, millions of Americans would suddenly have hundreds, or in some cases, thousands of extra dollars in their pockets each and every month with which to spend on ailing sectors of the economy.  As consumer spending increases, businesses will begin to hire, jobs will be created and a new era of innovation, entrepreneurship and prosperity could be ushered in for all.

Therefore, we, the undersigned, strongly encourage Congress and the President to support H. Res 365, introduced by Rep. Hansen Clarke (D-MI), seeking student loan forgiveness as a means of economic stimulus."

Please sign this petition?  This afternoon we had 526 Thousand Votes, only 24 thousand to go. Click on the link below, or copy and paste it into your browser.  Believe in and forgive the debt of higher education. Let's be leaders and not followers, I really hate to fail at anything!

http://signon.org/sign/want-a-real-economic?source=s.em.mt&r_by=1341985

Thanks!
Elaine  Ossipov
and I promise, no more dribble and defiently no more mass mailings.  
Facebook Twitter Blogger Facebook Page goodreads
Contact me: Google Talk Elaine Ossipov Y! messenger etrnlady
Like us on Facebook
Follow teststamp on Twitter

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let Your Voice Be Heard