Cross Banner

Welcome,
Thanks for stopping by, Please be sure to comment on a post or two while you're here. If you're in Empire Ave. My ticker Number is STSEA comment on my blog and leave yours, I'll be sure to do the same. You might also want to check out a few of my other blogs.
Thanks very much folks!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Ice Box Pickles

Ice Box Pickles: Folks who know me know I like to goof off. After all, that's why my shop's name is GoofingOff. My goofing off includes the kitchen. I love to cook. One of my favorite things to do is restrict myself to using what's on hand, and that includes what's in the garden.
I love cucumbers but when the cukes come in there are just so many fresh cukes you can eat until you start feeling like you are growing bumps and turning green.
A long time ago I found this recipe in the newspaper for ice box pickles and thought I would give it a try. They are wonderful. They are easy to make, taste great, and don't need cooking. No hassles with the water bath or big canner and they are ready in a day. Love to make things that are easy but still get compliments.

Ice Box Pickles
2-3 large cucumbers, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1 tablesppoon of salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seed
Sprinkle salt over cucumers and onions. Let set for an hour or more, stirring occasionally. Do not drain.
Mix the sugar, vinegar, and celery seed and pour over cucumbers. Let stand for 6 hours or overnight. Strir occasionally to make sure all the cucumber slices are covered with brine. Put the pickles in jars or bowls and store in the refrigerator. They will be ready in about one day.
Try making up a batch for your next barbecue or get together.
Register with our blog and create your own posts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let Your Voice Be Heard