Cross Banner

Welcome,
Thanks for stopping by, Please be sure to comment on a post or two while you're here. If you're in Empire Ave. My ticker Number is STSEA comment on my blog and leave yours, I'll be sure to do the same. You might also want to check out a few of my other blogs.
Thanks very much folks!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sunday Status Updates: September 11, 2011

Sunday Status Updates: September 11, 2011:
Well, it’s that time again…

John: I’m starting Living with Ghosts by Kari Sperring.

Kat: I read the second book in David Weber’s HONOR HARRINGTON series, The Honor of the Queen. I will not be moving on to book 3 even though I have already purchased it at Audible. That was a waste of a credit (they were having a special 3 for 2 series deal). My kids and I read and loved Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. I started William Gibson’s Count Zero and my husband and I are starting Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-Five on audio, but he watches so much football that I’m not sure when we’ll finish it. In print I’m still working on John Lambshead’s Lucy’s Blade.

Kelly: I’m currently reading With Fate Conspire by Marie Brennan, and also just starting Laini Taylor‘s Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Taylor’s Lips Touch: Three Times is one of the most memorable books I’ve read in recent years, so I’m stoked!

Marion: This has been an indulgent reading week for me, starting with Labor Day weekend. I finished Ward Just’s beautiful novel, Rodin’s Debutante. Just’s flights of words rise off the page like flocks of snowy egrets. I finished Robert Jackson Bennett’s The Company Man. Despite candy-commercial quibbles (“You got Sci-fi in my noir!” “You got noir in my sci-fi!”) I predict that this guy is The Next Big Thing. I read the last Spenser novel completely written by Robert Parker: Sixkill. Now I’m in a quandary. Which do I start: The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan, or Hellbent by Cherie Priest?

Robert: This past week was not one of my better ones. Hurt my back on Monday and was largely incapacitated for a few days. Of course, the injury did give me time to finish reading The Sacred Band, David Anthony Durham’s rewarding conclusion to THE ACACIA TRILOGY. Currently I’m reading Black Light, an urban fantasy novel co-written by Stephen Romano and screenwriters Patrick Melton & Marcus Dunstan of Saw fame. After that, I plan on reading Joseph Nassise’s Eyes to See.

Stefan: Once again, I didn’t get nearly as much reading done as I’d hoped, this time thanks to the Labor Day/back to school madness, this time combined with a major power outage here in San Diego. Reading by flashlight just isn’t as much fun when you’re an adult! I spent most of the week reading The Highest Frontier, the long-awaited new SF novel by Joan Slonczewski. I had high expectations for this one, and I wasn’t disappointed. After that, I started on Acacia by David Anthony Durham, and I plan to finish it up and then read its sequel next week in anticipation of the third volume in the ACACIA trilogy, which is due out next month.

Terry: I finished Duane Swierczynski’s Fun and Games this week, and am looking forward to diving into the next Charlie Hardie mystery, Hell and Gone. Hardie is a wonderful character — seemingly indestructible, but in a middle-aged, out-of-shape way, if that makes any sense. Now I’m reading Jim Butcher‘s first DRESDEN FILES novel, Storm Front, mostly because Justin keeps talking about how great this series is. While I’m finding this book enjoyable, I’m surprised at Justin’s enthusiasm; it seems like a competent first novel, but not more than that, at least so far. I’m betting that Butcher is one of those guys who gets better as he writes more. I’ve also just started reading Lauren Beukes‘s Zoo City; it’s been nominated for the World Fantasy Award, and I’m planning to go to the convention (including the banquet, where the awards are handed out) at the end of October, and I’d like to have all the nominees read by then. As I’ve currently read none of them, that might be a challenge! But I’ll give it the old college try.

Tim: I’ve been getting settled back into the wild world of academics, which has left me painfully little time for personal reading. I did have a look at On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers, which seems interesting and fast-paced so far, but as with a lot of Powers’s work somehow fails to grab me on an emotional level.

emailTwitterFacebookdel.icio.usDiggGoogle BookmarksStumbleUpon


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let Your Voice Be Heard